Wednesday 3 October 2012

Day 3: Topshop - Smokey Eye Palette in Smouldering

Hi,

Today I wanted to show you in more details the Smokey Eye Palette that I mentioned in my Haul a couple of weeks ago. 

Now being a bit of "rock chick" a smokey eye is pretty much a weekly occurance, so I am always looking for new ways and new products to jazz it up a bit, or just make it bit more interesting, without re-inventing the wheel if you know what I mean.

Well I am happy to say I am really pleased with this palette, firstly the packaging is super cute. Like all topshop cosmetics, its very simple with a matt texture which I love. it does mean that after a while the compact might start to look a bit dirty as its shows the dust more, but is still easily wipe clean so not a serious problem. The dotty pattern on the lid replicates from their nail polish lids and I like the continuity between the lines. 



This is one of 3 smokey palettes that Topshop have and I can tell you it was tough deciding between them, but in the end I went for Smouldering which while still containing typical dark smokey colours, the slight hint of red and shimmer in them caught my attention Heres the close ups:



Pale creamy colour good for highlighting

Grey/brown with slight silvery shimmer

Very dark red/black with plenty of crimson red glitter/shimmer

Black with lots of bright silver glitter/shimmer
The darker colours are very highly pigmented and will create a really dark sultry smokey eye, but I must say I was a little disappointed with the pigmentation on the pale highlighter colour, as you can see in the swatch photo below, even with a primer the highlighter is very difficult to pick up, and no matter how many photo's I took it still didn't show up. I suppose with a smokey eye a highlighter is no the important part but it seems slightly pointless in the palette if its not going to show up at all.

L-R: Black/silver, Red/black, Brown shimmer & highlighter.

Despite the paleness of the highlighter I still really like this palette. in the swatches you can't see the shimmer as well but in reality these are very shimmery and definitely make for a gorgeous evening eye look.  That effortless, slept in your make-up chic that can sometimes prove quite difficult to pull off, would be very easy with this palette.

Its not too expensive at £12 for the 4 shades, and you get a pretty large mirror in the lid too which means you can throw this in your bag for a night out and be ready for touch ups any time.

Not sure I will be rushing out to buy the other 2 colour options, but in time I can see this being a staple in my going out hand bag.

Have you tried this palette or maybe one of the other colour options? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

See you again tomorrow for day 4 of Blog-tober!

Love

Jude xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...