Tuesday 1 January 2013

Review: Fearne - Glossy Lips


Hi everyone,

One of the parts I love most about Christmas is all the beautiful gift sets that come out in the drugstores, one of which is by TV & radio presenter and UK fashionista Fearne Cotton. I am quite happy to admit that I am a big fan of Fearne, as she carries the torch for all the non-conventional girls, who have tattoos and listen to rock and metal music, whilst still remaining feminine and girlie throughout. Last year Fearne brought out a line of cosmetic gift sets with the UK drugstore Boots, and this year she has surpassed herself with another collection of beautiful products. I knew I was going to love these sets as I loved last years so much, so I put 3 sets on my letter to father Christmas and was delighted when I got 4!

The first set I would like to show you is the “Glossy Lips” set which contains 4 stunning and colourful lip glosses.





The first thing that struck me about this collection of gift sets is the beautiful packaging that it comes in. I know that Fearne is a very talented artist so it didn’t suprise me that she has clearly taken the time to think about what she wants her collection to look like. The boxes stand out with their monochrome colouring and their vintage rock and roll design, with elements of lace mixed with bold colour shapes like hearts and stars and photographic roses bringing the tattoo theme into play as well.



The glosses themselves come in beautiful packaging with the monochrome and lace effect running through the lids and the bottles. Each gloss contains 8ml which is a good amount and with a shelf life of 12 months there is plenty to see you though till next year. The colours themselves don’t have individual names so I am just calling them names which I think suit.   The 4 colours make a good selection of what is popular right now but also still classical, in that you have a colour which I think will suit everyone.

First is the baby pink gloss:




When I first saw this colour it instantly made me think of the 60’s and Twiggy with the bright but pale lip that was so fashionable then. When I looked closer I noticed that while being very bright solid colour it also contains a very subtle silver shimmer, which I think makes this gloss look more modern. In texture the gloss is not too sticky, and although it definitely applies slightly sheerer than if this were a lipstick, it holds its colour really well.

Next is the coral gloss:





Now coral isn’t a colour that a lot of people always think of when choosing a lipgloss or stick, but I think it is greatly underrated. It can be an alternative bright lip when you don’t want pink or red, and looks great with a tan or on darker skin tones. Much like the pink this colour feels very retro, but by adding the slight touch of shimmer it doesn’t look dated. It adds a lot of colour without being over bearing and creates a great impact on the lips.

Third is the rose gloss:





This gloss is definitely the shimmer out of the set, containing lots of pearl and tiny, tiny micro glitter particles to really catch your eye. The high shine in this gloss really catches the light when applied and the colour is incredibly sheer so it would go with any look you decide to pair it with. This is a great staple for a night out but maybe a bit too shimmery for a day look.

Finally the red gloss:





A classic red lip is very vintage and very rock and roll so it didn’t surprise me at all to find this colour in Fearne’s collection. It is a very deep red but not too blue and like the pink and coral contains the pearl shimmer as a subtle extra. I think this gloss has the highest pigment of all of them, which shows up as a great glossy red ont he lips. If you are a bit scared to try a red lipstick this is a great alternative as you can build up the colour to suit your style, whether it be just a hint of colour or full on high impact. This is going straight into my going out bag, as this is going to look great after work to vamp up my work make-up.

L-R: Pink, Coral, Rose & Red

Overall I’d say this is a great lip gloss set for someone who likes to experiment with colour or for someone more timid who is daunted by all the different colours on the make-up counters and wants a set they can rely on. These sets come out for the Christmas season and are now on sale at half price on the boots website.

Have you tried this set out yet or anything else from Fearne’s collection? Let me know if the comments below, as I’d love to hear what you think.

Love

Jude xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...